ESSRG educational competencies can be divided into four themes. They include: (I) methodology, (II) social theory, (III) postcolonial studies, and (IV) locality. More detailed:
- Environmental Communication: environmental informatics, media research, environmental journalism;
- Environmental Decision-making: decision-support techniques, environmental valuation methods, participative research models;
- Research Methodology: qualitative and quantitative methods;
- Academic Skills: academic writing skills, presentation skills.
(II) Social Theory:
- Cultural sociology: cultural studies, culture and environment;
- Social Theories: critical realism, environmental sociology;
- Organisation Theory;
- Ecological Economics.
(III) Postcolonial Studies:
- International Environmental Policy: global ecological problems (particularly biodiversity issues);
- International political economy: North-South, environment és development.
- Social Research: historical anthropological methods, culture studies;
- Environmental history;
- Local Social Research: environmental conflict and risk;
- Rural Sociology: sustainable rural development.